Friday, October 30, 2009

Kitchen Klutz: Halloween treats with Wednesday Addams

Photos by Joe Maniscalco


By Michèle De Meglio



Do you know who I am? Do you? Do you?



I am Wednesday Addams and this is a special Halloween Klutz!



Step inside my kitchen and be prepared to be mystified, stupefied and horrified. Seriously, I made something really, really gross.



Inspired by Mississippi Mud Pie, which I've never had the pleasure of tasting, I created Gummy Worm Mud Pie. Doesn't that just sound disgusting? How fun!



Who better to serve this dirty dessert than that sinister oddball we all love - little Wednesday Addams! The persona and costume are fitting since I've been told I have a passing resemblance to Wednesday Addams. I'm not quite sure if these folks were referring to my black hair and pale skin or my demeanor. Hmm.





Anyway, this dessert takes about 10 minutes (or 20 if you're really slow like me) to make. Start by melting a stick of butter, which I did in the microwave, then add that to an entire package of crushed Oreo cookies. To crush the cookies, I put them in a brown paper bag (the kind intended for school lunches) and smashed it on my counter top. After the second whack, the bottom of the bag ripped and cookie crumbs flew everywhere. I suggest double bagging the brown bags or putting the cookies in a mixing bowl and breaking them with a spoon.



After dusting off my counter tops, I spread the buttery cookie mixture in a large baking pan. Then, I mixed gummy worms and frogs into a carton of vanilla ice cream. Some candy corn was thrown in for extra pizazz. That was added to the baking pan and then topped with whipped cream. With a few more gummy worms as a garnish, it was time to put this pie in the freezer.





Verdict: This worm pie looked like a giant white blob but actually tasted pretty good. After all, it's just ice cream, Oreos and candy. No bad ingredients there!



Add some eyeballs and you'll have the perfect treat to scare your pals. That's how Wednesday would want it.



Kitchen Klutz follows 20-something Michèle De Meglio as she burns casseroles and her fingers, all in hope of trading frozen dinners for home cooking.



Gummy Worm Mud Pie



Ingredients


1.5 quarts vanilla ice cream


1 small Cool Whip or whipped cream


1 package Oreos


1 stick butter


1 package gummy worms


1 package gummy frogs


1 package candy corn



Directions


Crush Oreos and combine with melted butter. Fill baking tray with mixture. Mix candy with ice cream, then add on top of Oreo base. Cover with whipped topping and garnish with candy. Freeze for two hours.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2009 All rights reserved

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP