Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Funny girls


By Meredith Deliso

Jill Kargman is a funny person who wouldn’t call herself a comedian.

“I can never get out and be like, ‘I’m funny,’” said the writer. “I don’t know that I could ever say that about myself.”

So Word Bookshop will say it for her. Tomorrow, Kargman will participate in “Comedienne’s Night” at the Greenpoint store, a night that also includes Rachel Shukert, author of the comedic memoir “Everything Is Going to Be Great”; and comedian Sarah Benincasa.

“Our events are a little something more than just a reading,” said Jenn Northington, event manager at Word. “We’ve got such funny female authors at our disposal, it would be a shame not to take advantage of that.”

Kargman may not consider herself a comedian, but she is, employing improv as she reads from her new collection of essays, “Sometimes I Feel Like a Nut.”

“I usually tell a story from the book without reading. I would rather look at people,” said Kargman. “It’s not so much with a ‘bad-dum-bum’ kind of thing. I like an element of improv with it.”

Comedienne’s Night at Word [126 Franklin St. at Milton Street in Greenpoint, (718) 383-0096], Feb. 3 at 7:30 pm. Free. For info, visit www.wordbrooklyn.com.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2009 All rights reserved

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP